The patron : Manuel de Mollinedo y Angulo
One of the people that made the most to transform Cusco into a city full of religious treasures and architecture was the Archbishop Manuel de Mollinedo Angulo, who enriched the city during the 17th century changing it all. History reckons that the city was destroyed after the devastating earthquake that took place on March 31, 1650. This enabled him to make audacious plans and renovations. The archbishop was the promoter and sponsor of many of the most important Works. He promoted the constructions of the church of Our Lady of Almudena (including the image of the Virgin made by Juan Tomás Túpac), Saint Peter’s church and the temple of Saint Sebastian (1678.)he also was a protector of the Cusco School of Painting, and his legacy is so recognized that the San Blas church pulpit has his coat of arms on it. Among other of his admirable works there are the churches of Maras, Lampa, Paucartambo, Mañaz, Juliaca and Ayaviri.